Saturday, January 17, 2009

We've been here a Week

Thursday January 15, 2009
Weather conditions have deteriorated to 40 degrees F at night.
When we were having Breakfast this morning and checking our email a couple we had meet at Sassafras River in the Chesapeake ding hied up to say hi. I had been thinking about them that morning as they were the first people we meet who had hulled out their boat and left it ashore for two years while her husband went to work in Trinidad. A possible solution when our engine was draining our resources. I had thought I wish I could tell her that we had made it as far as Vero Beach. Not more than a half an hour later there they were. They mentioned they had seen other boats from Port but had never connected with us again until now. Today was the first day I attempted to bake a cake in my pressure cooker. I shut the thing off to quick but started it up again and it finished in the box time. I guess the two thirds rule does not apply to alcohol stoves which cook so cool.
In the afternoon we walked down to the beach to mail some post cards and checked out the shops.
Evening comes quickly and when we got back to the Common Room there was a news report about the plane that had landed in the Hudson River which we watched with extreme interest. What a miracle that there were no lives lost. We said a secret prayer for Mr. Asher who would have to wait for his ferry to get back home that night.
Friday January 16, 2009
Dick mentioned the satellite is scheduled again to go up on Saturday January 17, 2009 at 7:30 pm I think I will plan a gathering.
The weather is sunny but cold and windy. The VHF weather reports the waves in the Gulf Stream are 15 feet high. I told Dick I wanted to go down to the beach and check out what that horizon would look like. On board it is very rocky so I find it difficult to do anything but sit and read. The wind was gaining through the day so I got out some sewing and Dick ran the generator for me so I could put together a border for the quilt I started in the Chesapeake. The day passed rather quickly without many distractions and I found it very stimulating to be sewing again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

poor Dick with no cookies, cakes or sweets we know at Hutton House how he loves sweets

Phyllis said...

poor Dick my foot he has his "sweet"with him.!!! Good to get your news. Those waves sound pretty big to me. Thought of you when we heard about the plane going down--isn't it great that miracles still happen! Got the rest of the quilting stuff today so hopefully we can get going next week--even with the extra furniture theres lots of room to put 2 sets of frames up.

Anonymous said...

Just...

missin' you, Roofie.

K.

Anonymous said...

Hello, Hello,
You all are almost home. I got the post card on the 1-22-2009. I am glad to see that dreams have a way of coming true. I lost the blog info. you left, and I was praying I would hear from you'll before you got back home. God is awesome. I know he will see you through the remaing of the trip.
Shirley in Ashtbula