The Journey began on September 6, 2008, we caught the 7:00 a.m. bridge and I took a picture of the gym and waived good-bye to Bent on the pier. The weather was cool, Dick was dressed in Pete's sweater and snow pants. Ruth was in her polar fleece and jogging pants. We rounded Long Pointe about 3:30 p.m. Motor sailed with a lite sea. We arrived in Port Dover about 6:15 p.m.
Sinn Fein and Nice Butt are accompaning us. We had our first meal on the boat, first sunset. A visitor joined us by the name of Jock. He is planning the same trip on Sept 20th in a self made catamaran. Jock joined us for tea. No flys no mosquitos day is a 7 out of 10.
September 8, 2008 Back on the move today. Early start 7:10 a.m. no bridge to wait for :0
Following sea, west wind 10 - 16 knots. Great speed but Dick had to steer as the Auto pilot seems to be disconnected. To ruff to fit at sea. Arrived in Buffalo about 6:15 p.m. but had to standby as Sinn Fein was having engine trouble. Waited to give him a tow. Wayne got us a spot at the Erie Basin Marina. Beautiful waterfront, park our boat beside a bike path. Meet lots of well wishers. Received our Cruising Permit from the US customs. We are IN.
September 9, 2008 - Stayed in Buffalo until 1:00 pm and headed to Anchor Marine to take down the mast. Current in the Niagra River is about 3 kts and we were going with the flow. Gene was waiting for us when we got there and then took the ladies to get groceries.
We are exhausted. Go go go. I cannot wait to get to the Canal and RELAX. I think I lost 10 lbs.
No scales to verify- :)
.
September 10, 2008 - Moved from Anchor Marine to Lockport N. Y. Entered the Erie Canal. It is stunningly beautiful. New sensation to motor all the time. No mast. NO heeling and things falling out of the cupboards. I wish my mom and dad could be here to see this. The country side is alive. Lots of apple orchards and corn fields. The towns are really quaint. We were traveling with 3 boats and the harbour masters refer to us as the Canadians are coming.
Wireless is a pain or should I say Vista. We are in Brockport today and first time I can access since Buffalo.
The Municipality even provide a Techy person to come down and help us. Hense this long blog. We are getting a cell phone as soon as we find a Walmart. Stay tuned. Love you all, miss my Kids, Tribe, family and church family, but I am having a blast.
9 comments:
wonderful update! so glad to hear things are going well and you are enjoying the canal ride. Hope you can get your computer troubles sorted out.
see you annapolis
Love Karin, Josh & Elyssa
Just read your update to Pete. Felt like I was reading a passage from "Give Me The World". I miss you and I'm glad for this blog - you don't feel like you're missing entirely.
Your tribe sister
Hey Ruth and Dick
I am sorry I did not get a chance to say fair well. This site is awesome and I am enjoying "travelling with you" via the site.
Stay safe and most of all have a blast!
HH misses you two!! Don't forget to go shopping Ruthie!
-shakil.
Hi Ruth and Dick, Enjoying your blog and all the sailing lingo. will get Josh to interpret..
Enjoy your adventure! God bless!
PeterB
Hi Sailors: I checked to see how the sailing is going. It sure is raining here this afternoon..(Sat). We have a friend :John Hood: He is really a sailor and he has a friend Finn (sp). Is there a connection? Safe sailing and enjoy the trip. Take lots of pictures. The Loves From GB
Hi again...glad to see the site is working for you. Enjoy the trip down the canal..I though the towns were quaint also (seen when we took the train to NY.) Hope you have a great visit when you get there. Candy
Saw your photo album this a.m. and can't believe how some one looks like Port Stanley with lift bridge and all. So happy you are having a "blast" and can't wait to hear more. Take care of yourselves. Love Jane xoxo
Just got home from the cottage and catching up on the adventurers--sounds like a great time. Really lots of rain here this week-end. Its so good to be able to communicate and know how things are going.. Got your phone message. We will be away from Sept 20 to 27. Love and a hug mom and dad
Post a Comment