Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Back to Marsh Harbour

Sunday February 15, 2009
Michelle and Ian on Southern Flite were heading back to the States today and going through the Whale was going to be the best opportunity today. They were up early and headed out. It feels a little melancholy and we will miss having their company. Michelle ran down from the bridge deck to get the camera and take a picture of us standing on the dock waving good-bye so I guess she was feeling the same. I could feel the cold steel of self survival clench around my heart and when we got back on board the VHF had someone hailing Road to the Isles. We could only hear one side of the conversation but we gathered that they had arrived in Green Turtle and were heading to this area by Wednesday. Dick and I had to wait for high tide to head back to Marsh Harbour. When we got back to the harbour we anchored closer to the mouth of the harbour so we would not go aground during low tide. The tides have been very intense due to the Full Moon. It was Sunday night so we ding hied to town to find an evening church service. Most of the services did not start until 7:00 pm and we were not comfortable being uptown that long with the forecast that was predicted for Sunday evening. We came back to the boat and had dinner and watched a movie Dick had purchased at the garage sale.
Monday February 16, 2009
Today we spent a reflective day. The weather was beautiful in the morning but we had been warned by the Cruisers Net on VHF not to be deceived. Within a matter of an hour the wind had picked up and the chop in the harbour had increased. We decided to go to town to check our email and pick up some bakery bread. By the time we got back to the dinghy it was time to get back on board and hunker down for the winds that were coming. When we were at the Internet Provider place we received an email from Karen on Whippoorwill and Vertigo 1 and they are apparently back in Miami as Vertigo 1 had engine trouble after they were at Bimini and they had to go back to the States. We were very sorry to hear about that and as always things play on your mind and you have no way to change it. Whippoorwill will have to make a decision to stay or go back to the Bahamas. We recommended the Abacos or the Florida Keys. It would be wonderful to catch up with them when we get back to Florida.
I got out the sewing machine and spent the whole day making another quilt top. I had packed a bag of patches and bought some fat squares in St. Augustine but if I what to quilt these I need a fabric store to buy the backing. There is a decorator store downtown Marsh Harbour so I will check that out when I know what I will need. Meals were on board and I whipped up a potato chowder to use some of the food I had brought to the Bahamas. The wind howled all day and all through the night. Not much sleep but the Anchor held just fine.
Tuesday February 17, 2009
Sewing Morning. :)
In the afternoon stopped by a boat that was at the Conch Inn with people we knew from Green Turtle,
Joan and Ed on Willem a 36 foot Monk from Dunkirk on Lake Erie.

2 comments:

Phyllis said...

Have been checking regularly for email or blog and so glad to get a good report--also checked your friends blog. You are all having a wonderful experience and even a few problems!!! Raining tonight. * quilters out today. Hope did a project on us. I just can't believe the fellowship we are enjoying and have almost 30 quilts now (both tied and quilted). The small spark has developed into a huge fire!!

Anonymous said...

I hear Monica and Daryl are heading your way. Hope they are able to meet up with you.

Jessie's in labour but it looks like it'll be quite a while so i'll let you know when it happens.

Have a great time lazing around.

Take care, Love and prayers, j