Saturday November 22, 2008
The temperatures are in the twenties and last night Tony gave us his electricity to let us use our electric heater. We slept in until 7:00 am it is amazing to see what heat will do to the human body. When I had gotten my clothes and winter coat on I headed over to Vertigo 1 for the Skipper's meeting. The local bridge was only opening at 10 and 2 that day the wind was around 25 knots so no one was anxious to leave. We finally made an executive decision to wait until the 2:00 opening and that gave the girls time to take a cab to the Good Will. After we had made our decision to leave we heard on the radio that Sinn Fein and Whipporwill and Brandaris were coming into Beaufort. Because of the cold we decided to take a dock up the way about 25 miles and so we stopped at Skull Creek. I made a delicious supper and slept like a baby for the first time. The most amazing provision they have is showers. After about 5 day without one I cannot describe the bliss to regain your minimum standard of hygiene again.
Sunday November 23, 2008
We slept in until 7:30 am so headed out in a rush with the rest of the fleet. We headed down Skull Creek to the Calibogue Sound to Cooper River and into New River which end our stay in South Carolina. We saw lots of dolphins. What a joy. Tonight we anchored in Kilkenny Creek off Bear River.
The fleet had made two long passages and we are starting to reduce the gap between here and Florida. We have 243 miles to New Smyrna and our visit with my parents.
Monday November 24, 2008
I have not had the Internet since Beaufort. Heard to sleep last night because of the cold. We had a long and stressful ride to day down the ICW. There is a lot of shoaling and going aground is very common place. Most of the really shallow areas we had warnings about have cleared so most of the trip was dealing with fears and not so much real situations. When we anchored Dick laid down for a much needed nap and Wayne radioed us to talk about maybe just going to Jekyll Island in Georgia and spending some time touring. This turned out to be a wonderful decision.
Tuesday November 25, 2008
Fast trip to Jekyll Island today. We traveled across St. Simon Sound and into a cut called Jekyll Creek and Dick and I were the lead boat. We have to monitor the water depths and watch the guides to see where they recommend you avoid the shoaling. Right behind us was a sailboat with his main up. Must be a local guy. We slowed right down and there was enough room for him to pass. I am sure he was thinking “out of towners” but I don't care. The island is a must see. We went for a tour on bikes with Ab and Karen and visited all the mansions. We picked up groceries and had time to get back to the restaurant for the reunion of all seven boats. What a grand day.
3 comments:
shirley said - " Got Georgia on my mind" that's what the song says and so say I. Good to get updated again and I can understand how great some heat and a shower must feel. A little milder here to-day and some of the snow has melted. We had council meeting to-night and the architect was present to give a report on the two buildings. I haven't had a chance to read it yet but it loks asthough we are closing in on a decision. Bridge club here to-morrow.
Sounds like some exciting times between shallow waters and bike rides and showers. We just got home from Holly--a sad trip but also some happy memory moments. Bonnie was always a joy to be around. The kids are doing well and relieved that she no longer suffers. Santa Claus parade at Parkhill on Sunday night--we will take the kids weather permitting . Hang in--we leave for Florida next Tuesday
How many more sleeps 'til Mom and Dad arrive, Roof?
K.
Post a Comment